CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Getting Ready For Thanksgiving

Yesterday I was up very early and getting ready for Thanksgiving. I got all of my silver polished. We do not eat until 6pm so I will put some chips and dip and appetizers on the buffet so that everyone can graze while mom and I are cooking.


Billy and Wesley came over and hung my outside lights. They will get turned on that night after we eat :)


I went to the grocery store and bought the boys some food and paper items for helping. They never seem to have food over at there place and they eat out too much!

Mom will come over on Tuesday and help me 'redd up' as she would say. We will get everything cleaned up real good- like spring cleaning. We always do a good house cleaning before the holidays.

Mom grew up outside of Lancaster in Pa. So she talks like the Amish people. We have lived in the south for over 20 years but she still has the same accent and a lot of her Amish terms have stuck with her too! When they say redd up the house that means clean up. :) (There that was your lesson for the day) LOL

6 comments:

Nunnie's Attic said...

LOL! I read your comments about redding up and I turned to my husband and said that you must be from PA. Then I read a little further and realized you meant that was something your mom would say who WAS from PA. I live about 45 minutes outside of Pittsburgh. So I understood that phrase COMPLETELY. I must confess it's one that I use.

I also noticed that people outside of western PA do not measure distance in time. HA! So I guess my comment above could be translated to approximately 30 miles outside of Pittsburgh.

Love,
Julie

Rose of Sharon said...

Wow! You are on top of things! That is wonderful! I was such a slug yesterday! I only got a few things done, well, this new puppy took a lot of our time and she is so adorable it is hard to not constantly be playing with her. You have some beautiful silver pieces! I want you to show more pictures of your house, it looks really pretty! I love the plum walls in your dining room!

Have a wonderful Sunday! Sharon

Anonymous said...

That silver is so lovely. Happy Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

I need her to come redd up mine. hehe Im glad you are feeling better and things seem to be great. hope this day finds you happy.

nannykim said...

Wow--great idea to do all the cleaning before the holidays. I did paint a bedroom today!! and do all of my son's laundry who is home from college, and I managed to bake a pumpkin and apple pie and some cranberry bread and corn bread and see the Doctor for allergy eyes!! Now we are getting read to play scrabble--have fun.--I mean have a nice Thanksgiving!

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Hi Sondra,
Somehow I kept reading your blog and I ended up reading your comment about your Mom talking like the Amish. I live up here in Central PA and I had never heard redd up the house. I am going to use it from now on though to get my husband and I motivated to straighten up. See, we don't even have 4 boys here and our house still always looks "lived in!"

Enjoyed reading your blog.

~ Jillian